|Half Term||Topics to be covered||Key skills covered|
|Autumn HT 1||System Architecture||1. Understanding the purpose of the Central processing unit.
2. Understanding the Von Neumann architecture to include the MAR, MDR, PC and ACC.
3. Identify the main components of the CPU and their functions, to include ALU, CU and cache.
4. Understand the purpose of the Fetch-Decode-Execute cycle
5. Identify common characteristics that effect the CPUs performance.
6. Understand the purpose of and embedded system
|Autumn HT 2||1. Memory|
|1. Know the difference between RAM and ROM
2. Know the purpose of RAM and ROM
3. Understand the need for virtual memory
4. Know what flash memory is
5. Understand why there is a need for secondary storage
6. Data capacity and calculation of data capacity requirements
7. Know common types of storage
8. Be able to discuss suitable storage devices and media for a given applications, advantages and disadvantages
|Spring HT 1||Wired and wireless networks||1. Know the difference between LAN and WAN and the factors that affect the performance of networks
2. Understand the different roles of computers in client-server and peer-to-peer networks
3. Identify the hardware required to connect stand-alone computers to a LAN
4. Discuss the Internet as a worldwide collection of networks, to include, DNS, hosting and the cloud
5. Understand what is and the purpose of virtual networks
|Spring HT 2||1. Network topologies|
|1. Discuss the different topologies
2. Understand what wifi is, to include frequency and channels and encryption
3. Discuss the uses of IP addressing, MAC addressing and protocols.
4. Understand the concept of layers and packet switching
|Summer HT 1||1. System security|
2. System software
|1. Understand the types of attacks and the treat posed to networks
2. Identify and understand how to prevent vulnerabilities
3. Understand and the purpose and functionality of systems software
4. Explain different operating systems
5. Discuss different utility system software
|Summer HT 2||1. Ethical concerns|
2. Legal concerns.
3. Cultural and environmental concerns.
4. Overview of project and highlight possible ideas
5. Year 10 mocks - Week 2
6. Year 10 work experience - week 6
|1. Discuss Computer Science technologies while considering different issues
2. Explain how key stakeholders are affected by technologies
3. Explain the environmental impact of Computer Science
4. Understand the cultural implications of Computer Science
5. Know the difference between open and proprietary software.
6. Discuss the legislation relevant to Computer Science.
|Half Term||Topics to be covered||Key skills covered|
|Autumn HT 1||1. A453 programming project|
2. Computer hardware
3. Binary logic
|1. Understand standard programming techniques
2. State the purpose of the CPU
3. Describe the function of the CPU as F-D-E instructions in memory
4. Explain common characteristics of CPU’s
5. Explain why data is represented in CS in binary form
6. Understand and produce simple logic diagrams
7. Produce a truth table from a given logic diagram
|Autumn HT 2||1. A453 programming project|
|1. Continue to develop skills to understand standard programming techniques
2. Be able to design a coded solution to a problem
3. Describe the difference between RAM and ROM
4. Know the purpose of RAM and ROM.
5. Understand the need for virtual memory.
6. Know what flash memory and cache memory are.
7. Discuss how changes in memory technologies are leading to innovative computer designs.
|Spring HT 1||1. A453 programming project|
2. Input and output devices (recap)
4. Control flow
Handling data in algorithms
|1. Develop suitable algorithms
2. Design suitable input and output formats
3. Identify suitable variables and structures.
4. Identify test procedures
5. Understand the need for input and output devices
6. Describe suitable input and output device for a wide range of computer controlled situations
7. Discuss input and output devices for users with specific needs
|Spring HT 2||1. A453 programming project|
2. Secondary storage (recap)
|1. Create a coded solution fully annotating the developed code to explain its function
2. Test solution and identify successes and any limitations
3. Explain the need for secondary storage
4. Describe common storage technologies
5. Select and justify choices of suitable storage devices and storage media for a given application
6. Explain the need for different functions of an operating system
7. Describe the purpose and use of common utility programs
8. Discuss merits of custom written, off the shelf, open source and proprietary.
|Summer HT 1||1. A453/A452 deadline 15-05-15 deadline. To be marked week 1|
2. Units (recap)
3. Number (recap)
5. Images, sound and instructions
7. Computer communications and networking (Recap)
8. Internet (Recap)
|1. Define different terms eg kilobyte and understand the need to convert into binary
2. Convert denary to binary, denary to hexadecimal and visa versa. Addition of binary
3. Explain the use of hexadecimal numbers to represent binary numbers.
4. Explain the use of binary codes to represent characters
5. Explain the term character set. Explain examples of ASCII and Unicode.
6. Explain the representation of an image and the need for metadata
7. Discuss the effect of colour depth and resolution
8. Explain how instructions are coded as bit patterns and how computers distinguish between instructions and data
9. Describe a database and explain the use of data handling software
10. Describe the principle features of a DBMS and how DBMS allows the separation of data applications
11. Understand the relationship between entities and tables
12. Understand components of a relational database
13. Understand logic operators
14. Explain key fields and describe methods of validating data
15. Discuss different types of networks, topologies, hardware/software, security and network policies
16. Describe the Internet and hardware required
17. Explain the need for IP and importance of HTML
18. Describe common file standards and importance of compressing file and the difference between different compression types
|Summer HT 2||Exam 07-07-17|